For the hundredth anniversary of Eddington’s expedition to Principe and as part of the celebrations tied to the “Eddington at Sundy: 100 years Later” project, it is our goal to create a thematic space at Roça Sundy focusing on the history and science of the eclipse observations that took place at the iconic Roça Sundy.
This physical space is a way of marking the historic connection with science, safeguarding the legacy of a major scientific event, and also consolidating the projects and initiatives developed in Principe Island related to this historical episode. The conceptualisation of the Thematic Space includes, on the one hand, historical and scientific information, and, on the other hand, scientific learning experiences that involve the visitor in the construction of scientific knowledge.
Thematic Space aims:
- to be a space in to serve the Principe's Education and Schools community intended to provide learning experiences in the field of science;
- to be the culmination of the Trilhos de Ciência (Science Trails) that have been developed since 2013 and therefore cover target audiences with different interests and dynamics;
- to constitute a space for excellence for scientific outreach in education in Principe Island and a reference to neighbouring countries;
- to protect the historical and scientific legacy of the astronomical observations that took place there.
- to constitue a tourist attraction and a "business card" on Principe Island, in particular on the Roça Sundy.